Thursday, February 23, 2017

Broncho Golf Update

Let's take a break from the big boys and talk a little college golf.

As my bio states, I played quarterback on the UCO football team for 5 years. We won a lot of games, made a lot of memories, and formed relationships that will last a lifetime.

This past fall was my last season, and before it started, I saw an opportunity when it was over.

I played a lot of competitive golf over the past few summers, and wanted to try playing on our school team. We had graduated quite a few guys, and got a new coach at a time that didn't allow him to go out and recruit.

We were hurting for players, and I wanted to help.

I went and talked to Coach Fosdick before fall camp, and told him my intentions. I told him about my competitive golf, my situation with football, and my drive to get better in the sport. Lucky for me, he liked the idea!

So after my final college football game in early November, I hopped in with the guys in workouts and practice, and now it's like I've been there all along!
A post shared by T.j. Eckert (@tj.eckert) on

Okay, enough about me. Who really cares about that stuff anyway?

Earlier this week, we had our first tournament of the spring season down in San Antonio. I unfortunately didn't play well enough to qualify for this event, so I stayed home and supported through my cell phone. The guys that did make it were:

1. Eli Armstrong
2. Zander Hughes
3. Nick Pierce
4. Wesley Jackson
5. Alberto Ruiz Nava

The guys stopped outside of Austin first to visit the headquarters for Edel Golf, which is home to custom-made putters and the unique single-length irons that are becoming the hot new item in golf. They also said hi to our incoming recruit, Nico Edel, who committed to UCO a while back.

After getting fit for putters and single-length irons, it was time to get down to business. The guys played a practice round at The Dominion Country Club on Sunday to get ready for what was supposed to be 54 holes over the next 2 days. Record rainfall cut the event to 36.

We finished the 1st round in a tie for 4th in the 16-team field. Berto led the way, shooting +1 73, with Nick shooting +2 74, Eli and Wes +3 75, and Zander +4 76. Bert ended the day T-11.

The next day didn't go quite as well.

The tough Bermuda greens made it hard for anyone to have confidence in their stroke, and a brutal back 9 caused scores to balloon.

Berto and Eli found a way to push through, shooting solid even par 72s, and Bert finished in T-4 in the individual standings. As a team, we finished T-5, which would be a good tournament for most teams, but not so good for a team with the expectations we have for ourselves.

It's early, and this is the 1st tournament of the spring, but we are going to work even harder now to get to where we know we can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment