Thursday, March 23, 2017

From the Range to the Round

Let the Big Dog Eat

I think the biggest thing I've learned about this golf blog is that you have to be interesting to be seen. I started out writing generic tournament previews and recaps, which are fine, and I will continue doing that. But in order to gain followers and popularity, you have to be unique. Golf can be viewed as boring by some people, so you have to constantly find ways to make it interesting, even to people who don't care much for it.


Equipment Malfunction

I kind of mentioned it in my first answer, but instead of focusing strictly on the PGA Tour, I've started to implement articles on college golf, both men's and women's. I think that makes my blog a little more unique, especially since I play on the team. It kind of gives an inside perspective into college athletics.


The Back 9

I'm going into sports broadcasting, so having a blog on sports gives me a certain level of "expertise" in the subject (even if my golf game says otherwise.) I also think it's unique, as it isn't a popular sport(football, basketball) and it isn't a popular local team that would otherwise get lost in the clutter. The blog is something I can attach to my resume to show that I have more than just basic knowledge.


"Competitive Golf is Played Mainly on a Five-and-a-Half Inch Course, the Space Between your Ears"

I would say it has caused me to think more creatively. Early on, I was pretty dry and boring, which matched people's opinion of the sport. That isn't fun to read. So I have done my best to think a little more outside the box when I write, because I know there are people out there who couldn't care less about golf. So my writing is what will keep them interested.


The Next 18

I think the biggest things are to be original, and be creative. Original meaning don't just do what everyone else is doing. I could've very easily written a blog on the Thunder, or OU athletics. But I felt like there were so many of those, mine would just be white noise. Next, being creative means making something boring something fun. Golf doesn't have big collisions, or heart-stopping drama. Not to everyone. To me, there is nothing like a guy coming down the 18th fairway, knowing he needs a birdie to tie, and attacking a dangerous pin dangling behind a lake. That is drama, and that is how I latch readers to my writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment